Friday, December 13, 2019

Miraculous Transformation


I went to a performance of a new musical play, Parcel from America, at the Irish Heritage Center in Chicago last weekend. It had a heartwarming resolution, perfect for the Holidays, likely to become a kind of It’s A Wonderful Life tradition for smaller theaters around town.

I had a little trouble getting into the spirit of the afternoon though. Before the performance started, I was put in a grumpy mood by the gyrations of one of the audience members. I recognized her as being one of the regular hosts of PBS-TV’s pledge nights. Her appearances there irritated me. She always seemed to be so mindlessly bubbly as she solicited funds and introduced each new segment of the special programming. Her uniform boosterism and effervescence often seemed out of place. She would burst into the midst of a program about the Holocaust with her usual hyper enthusiasm. She’d gush, “Wow! Isn’t that great! What an important history lesson!”

None of the solemnity or grandeur of any of the programming ever seemed to register with her. Her predictable “Wows!” always smacked of a teenager’s babblings about who-likes-who in 5th period English class. Now here was this woman again, characteristically flitting around the auditorium, greeting people in rapid succession, supervising who should sit where, changing her own seat repeatedly, laughing, shuffling people’s coats here and there. Just as her bubbly appearances on TV exhausted me, the woman was exhausting me here in person.

Her skimming flightiness was turning me into the perfect Scrooge. I was mentally grumbling “What an airhead! Sit down and relax already! Silent night, please!”

But then, a Christmas miracle. The woman oddly paused in mid-sweep down the aisle next to me. She paused, and looked down with intent friendliness at me for a moment. It wasn’t as if she seemed to think she knew me. We’d never met. I’d never volunteered at the local PBS station on any of the nights when she was hosting. But it was as if she suddenly realized some transcendent kinship between us. She paused – and lit up with a sincere, staying smile.

When she moved on, resuming her social butterfly briefness, I thought, “What a nice woman!”

No comments: