Sunday, May 18, 2014

Walking a Few Blocks Beyond


You might have lived on your same city street all your life, but never ventured down it past a certain point. Or perhaps you’ve explored up and down your own street, but there are many nearby streets you’ve never explored past the corner convenience store where you get your coffee, or past the gas station where you regularly fill up before you veer off to pursue your day’s business along farther avenues.

The other day I realized how many blocks right in my own neighborhood I knew nothing about. I would turn off the next main street and visit an acquaintance who lived just a few doors further down on a residential street near my house. But I had no idea what lay beyond on that typical-seeming street. For all I knew, it might have been labeled “Here be monsters,” as the old cartographers would label the terra incognita that no explorer had yet reached on our globe.

So the other day I made my own exploration. I passed my friend’s house and walked on down the street, farther than I’d ever been before. And there were wonders to behold.

After a while, I found the street was blocked off to cars. The only way anyone could have continued straight ahead was on foot, across an old bridge that spanned the Chicago River there at one of its shallowest, laziest stretches. The sidewalk led up onto the bridge with its picturesquely rusty cross-beams. Looking through the diamond-frame of those cross-beams, I saw some ducks. They weren’t paddling on the water. This early balmy spring day was too leisurely for any effort like that. They were letting the current just drift them along, taking them where it would.
 
                                            

Where the bridge rejoined the sidewalk on the far side again, there was a triangle of fenced-in land that seemed to belong to no one in particular. It was heaped with antique discard - with old bushel baskets, tires, and stove compartments. Some weedy vines had overgrown this ancient offal, running down to the water’s edge. But the overall effect was not one of ugly discord. In this context, the accumulated rubbish looked like a treasure trove that invited a searching eye.

I went on in the same unappointed spirit as the ducks. Many of the houses along here were neat bungalows, with catchy yard decorations. I passed miniature windmills and lighthouses. I walked along the coming block, and then the next. Then I was burst out onto another business street. I had driven along this street fairly often, but I’d never come at it from this angle before, or on foot. It was like lying down on your kitchen floor. There were unsuspected twists and turns, pipings and utilities. Looking at the workings of this ethnic neighborhood from such a different angle of approach, I saw things from a whole new perspective. I could see things that drive-bys often don’t give a person time to see.

I was immediately greeted by the big flapping dark wings of rugs posted out on the sidewalk for sale. There were rugs and blankets, hung on huge versions of newspaper racks. They waved me over, inviting inspection. Tigers and pandas waited to pounce out at me from this jungle of plush pile fabric. Some of the blankets were also imprinted with race cars and superheroes like Spiderman that zoomed out as I riffled through the racks. There was a big Justin Bieber looking with plush disinterest off into the distance.

                                                 


The street was lined with discount stores that had arrays of Spanish, Korean, and Indian knick-knacks in their windows. A man was waltzing a floor lamp with a faux Tiffany lampshade out onto the street. A fat Buddha candle-holder beamed out beatifically at me. Seen quickly from a distance, all this might have seemed like a clutter of kitsch. But on foot on the street that sunny spring day, I felt as if I was inside the object chamber of a kaleidoscope, morphing along with the other sparkling shapes and shards, forming new patterns of thought.

Most arresting of all was a line-up of just the lower halves of female mannequins out on the sidewalk. They were covered in brightly colored skin tight jeans and leotards. The mannequin’s derrieres were all plumply facing the public, an army of partial pin-ups. In unconsciously ironic reflection of this theme, there were several fruit carts parked nearby, laden with early peaches, mangoes, and other produce likely from south of the border. Restaurants with dancing tacos painted on their windows were interspersed with the discount shops.
 
      


The whole street was alive with quirky initiative. It all reminded me of the film biographies of American notables such as George Gershwin who grew up in Brooklyn in the early part of the 20th century. Brooklyn then was usually shown as a complex harmony of immigrant energy and enterprise. There were always people calling to each other from fire escape stairways. There were peddlers hawking their wares, pitchmen, con-men, and pick-up artists brassing up every corner. And here it was again, a street that the young Gershwin would have recognized. Except – on this busy commercial street, a staccato Spanish clip predominated rather than Eastern European schmaltz.

That different note of immigrant music was sounded most strikingly as I walked back, off the main street, onto the leafy residential street again. As I passed along, approaching the bridge, I heard it – the clarion call of a rooster. Again and again, the rooster announced itself. It happily reminded me that keeping chickens and roosters had once again been made legal in Chicago, although the ordinance is always in danger of being rescinded.

Once having discovered this walk, I’ve returned along the same route several times since. And always, during either my coming or going, the rooster announces itself from behind some fence. I have never seen it, and I can never quite pin down which house and which fence it’s behind. It has become like the Wizard of Oz, a disembodied oracle whose reality I don’t quite want to expose. I just appreciate its greeting – and walk on.

Have you explored any of your neighboring side streets lately? Have you walked along one of them farther and farther, beyond where you’d ever gone before?

                                         

No comments: